Wednesday, February 25, 2009

spirituality

Today was Ash Wednesday. A typically somber, contemplative, yet renewing, occasion for Catholics. I was reminded of it yesterday when my Hawaiian friends mentioned it on Twitter. Tonight we went to dinner at the Olive Garden. I saw some people there with ashes on their forehead, quite large actually. It occurred to me that I didn't go to Mass nor did I even make an effort to make it to a Mass either. I haven't thought about what I'm going to give up for Lent. I could go on and on about the things I'm not doing in regards to my spiritual life, and make many lame excuses and weak justifications for why I haven't been to Mass consistently in close to three months. But I'm not going to do that.

Instead I'd like to share with you what I have been doing in a positive manner. I've been talking and trying to listen (the more important part) to the Father, Son and Holy Spirit at least 10 minutes per day. I am Googling Parishes in my new home and figuring out which buses get closest. I have been thinking about how I'm going to truly GIVE to my future Parish. I'm also thinking about the recent past and want to get to the bottom of why my Heavenly relationships are so lacking in fulfillment. I know for a fact all the fault is on me, so I need to change it! Not much, but that is what has been going on.

For those of you with young children, how do you share your Spirituality with them? Do you feel they are growing in the image you aim for them to? How involved is your family in Church activities? Do you attend Bible Study groups or other Faith enriching classes for yourself? Are you part of an 'extra curricular' Church group? How much time besides usual 'scheduled' worship do you spend doing Church related activities?

I'd really enjoy feedback. It would really help me with my growth and brainstorming. I believe thinking about it will help you too! In return for your talking to me about your positive Church experiences (even if you have a completely different Religion than I hold to!) I will commit to sharing with you some of my experiences and enriching activities as well.

This wasn't exactly how I thought my first Spiritual blog would turn out, but it is what was on my heart this evening. I suppose I thought I was going to start by writing my Spiritual biography. My 'testimony' if you will. I plan to write about that in the future.

No comments: