Monday, February 22, 2010

Lens Love, Stories, School

I have not had much time to get out and shoot with my Rebel XT, which was given to me by my husband for Christmas, but I have been loving the little bits of shooting time when they come. It's been a long time since I've shot in the snow though, and I needed to spend some time reading tips on the Internet about how our cameras perceive the drastic lighting, and what I, as a photographer, need to do for compensation. Thank goodness for photo editing software! PhotoShop Elements, paint.net, and picnik have saved quite a few recent shots from the feared recycle bin. I would like to rely less upon fixing the shots afterward, and be able to set things up right the first time. It's going to take time to relearn.

There was a one and a half hour intermission for story time with husband and daughter. We talked about our days, and M told us about her "How To" story was how to buy a cat. We pointed out to her that not all cats are bought, which lead DH to tell the story of finding and raising our baby Wooter, then i told her about the birth of old Roofus. After that I read the books M checked out from her school library.

I'm also playing around with the Auto Exposure Bracketing feature in my shooting. It's really interesting to me to see how adding and taking away light from the image can really change it. There is a Time-Life series about Photography on my bookshelf. The copy of "Light and Film" must be read when my next school break happens.

Speaking of school, things are going well. It looks like I will be getting a "B" average for now. This quarter consists of Perspectives, a study skills oriented class; Technical Writing, which focuses on grammar and writing in the technical style; and Medical Terminology, which is learning lots of words needed in the future as a student and out in the field as an official Veterinary Technician. Next quarter will have Chemistry and Medical Math for me. I am only attending classes part time and it will take me twice as long to earn my degree but I am glad to have the extra time for focusing on classes and family time easier.

That's it for now...

No comments: