Friday, May 1, 2009

Happiness Is...

Happiness is having reservations for your first baby to fly back and be reunited with you!

My cat, Roofus, will be arriving at Denver Airport around 2:45 on Saturday (tomorrow)! Don't know if I mentioned it but all our cats have been staying with my parents while we've been moving from one house to another. I have missed my fur babies so much and have been especially worried about old Roo. He's been sick and frail for quite a while now. He turned 17 years old on the 23rd of April. He has Hyperthyroidism, a possible mild heart murmur, and is chronically dehydrated and borderline anemic.

We've finally got enough boxes cleared out that the 'cat room' was able to be set up. So earlier this week my parents took Roo in for a look-over by their vet to ensure that he was healthy enough to fly out here and when the OK was given I was on the phone, pronto, to make his travel arrangements! He is flying as live cargo on United Airlines, the same carrier that took him from HI to CA (my parents area) this past January. In the past we've used Delta. We've been happy with both air lines so far, but I recently came across some bad word of mouth regarding the way Delta has handled the pets in their care and United has slightly lower prices so we may be sticking with them.

I absolutely can not wait to have my first baby in my arms again! I am nervous about things though. He is hanging in there quite well but I know he's old and sick and who really knows how much more time he has left? We have been noticing that he hasn't been keeping on weight even with an extra meal and modification of his medicine dosage. So on Monday we have an appointment to see Dr Douglas Santen at Alameda East Veterinary Hospital. He is one of the Internal Medicine specialists with an interest in endocrinology, renal disease, and especially feline medicine. Dr Santen will have an abdominal ultrasound run on Roo and the medical records from the times he was seen in CA have hopefully been faxed over including a recent complete lab work on his blood and urine. We shall see what the expert prognosis is. I have been hoping for the best and preparing for the worst for quite some time now. Seriously, it feels like almost every Vet visit is a roller coaster but we've always had very good Vets.

So, even though Roofus's flight lands around 2:45, apparently it will take TWO HOURS for him to be unloaded and transported to the freight facility. What the heck, are they intentionally trying to make me feel tortured?! So, anticipating my baby not being in my arms until 5pm what the heck am I going to do tomorrow to keep my sanity? I guess we should have food, the water fountain, and a litter box set up for him. So, on the books is a trip to the pet supply store. The humans need food too, so that means a trip to the grocery store. Depending on what time we get dressed at and how cooperative the girl is being, that actually could take up a good part of the day =)

I've done enough playing around for the night. I will update soon about how things are going with Roo's homecoming!

No comments: