Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Some Salmon and Cleverness

Last night we had Japanese inspired salmon with Salted Edamame and Rice with Toasted Sesame Seeds and Seasoned Rice Vinegar. I remembered to take pictures!

The flavors of the salmon sauce were nice but I was not impressed with the fish itself. It seemed much more fishy than salmon usually is. Not sure if it's because it was a thin cut, or what. I think I will be sticking with the thicker, more steak like cuts in the future.

Our base recipe came from Real Simple.com and I tweaked it a tad. What chef worth her salt doesn't tweak recipes? I substituted dried ginger because I didn't have any fresh. After taste testing I added one more tablespoon of honey and 1/8th a teaspoon more of the dried ginger. I was concerned that since the cut of salmon was so thin, broiling would dry it out too much so it got baked in the oven. As it was cooking, the leftover sauce was slowly boiled on the stove top to spoon on top

For the rice I just prepared it as usual, then stirred in some toasted sesame seeds and drizzled with the seasoned rice vinegar.

The edamame were simply boiled in water with a couple teaspoons of salt, but so simple it was delicious!

Japanese inspired Salmon with Salted Edamame and Rice with Toasted Sesame Seeds and Seasoned Rice Vinegar.
Nothing bugs me more than pawing through drawers looking for measuring cups and spoons! This morning I was hit with a little inspiration. A while ago I bought a set of steel measuring cups and they were gathered together on a ring, which I loved because it seems like measuring cups always get lost one by one and these are kept together so nicely! This morning I saw an extra ring and carabiner clip in my tea cupboard so I took the cups off their ring and transferred them to the clip. Then my beloved Pampered Chef Adjustable Measuring Spoons got put on the rings and added onto the clip. Let me tell you, that sure made my morning! I feel so clever! When I bragged about it to my Precious he dubbed me the "Commando Cook". I love it!

Commando Cook Cleverness!
 A week ago I made a delicious Guinness Slow Roasted Pork and veggies in the Crock Pot and am driving myself nuts trying to find the recipe I used! I really want to make it again sometime soon because it was good, but a little too much onion for my taste.

Now I'm sitting here trying to think if there's anything good hiding in the kitchen to make for dinner. I'm thinking that we'll need to sneak in a quick grocery trip after work if we're going to eat tonight. There is some Tuna Helper Fettuccine Alfredo in the cupboard but I'm turning up my nose at that and only want to use it as a last resort. Sorry little Helper Hand!
Copyright General Mills, Inc.
Well, time for me to get going on my other stuff for the day. Stay tuned for more kitchen adventures with the Commando Cook! =)

No comments: